By Caitlin Johnstone and cross-posted from Medium
Twitter has announced today that it will no longer be accepting advertisements from Russian outlets RT and Sputnik, thereby protecting Americans from consuming advertisements by propaganda outlets other than CNN, Fox, MSNBC, the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, the Washington Post, ABC, NBC, CBS, the Daily Beast, The Hill, NPR, the LA Times, USA Today, Newsweek, AP, Reuters, the Guardian, and any corporate media outlet used to manufacture public support for a corporatist system of government.
“Early this year,” Twitter’s explanation reads, “the U.S. intelligence community named RT and Sputnik as implementing state-sponsored Russian efforts to interfere with and disrupt the 2016 Presidential election, which is not something we want on Twitter. This decision is restricted to these two entities based our internal investigation of their behavior as well as their inclusion in the January 2017 DNI report.”
The findings of the January DNI report are something every American should be aware of. I strongly encourage you to click here and take a look at the allegations leveled at these outlets in this report for yourself if you haven’t already. They are either unintentionally hilarious or profoundly disturbing, depending on the spirit in which you read them. Here are the evil, heinous, unforgivable offenses that the DNI report says RT is guilty of in its report:
- Airing two new shows that were critical of the US government.
- Running reports on the vulnerabilities of US election machines.
- Broadcasting, hosting and advertising debates between third-party candidates.
- Covering the Occupy Wall Street movement.
- Criticizing the US surveillance state and alleging widespread infringements of civil liberties, police brutality, and drone use.
- Criticizing “the US economic system, US currency policy, alleged Wall Street greed, and the US national debt” and comparing the United States to Imperial Rome.
- Running anti-fracking programming, highlighting environmental issues and the impacts on public health.
- Opposing Western intervention in the Syrian conflict and blaming the West for waging “information wars” against the Syrian Government.
- Trying to expand RT America in the US.
In short, the two dozen hand-picked analysts who composed the DNI report claim that RT is a malignant propaganda outlet because, unlike the aforementioned corporate media outlets, RT gives a voice to popular leftist ideas. That’s how brazenly the US power structure is shoving the American public toward support for its corporatist plutocracy these days…